A Heartfelt Thank You
Today, our Founder Joe Grillo begins the transition of his role as CEO to the next generation of leadership. While he may have joked about retiring for some time, we never actually thought it would happen. But today, he’s closer to closing the book on this significant and impactful chapter.
It isn't easy to retire from a company that you've helped create, nourish, and grow for more than ten years. Joe has been instrumental to our success, not only from a business perspective but in his effort to instill strong values, provide a clear sense of purpose beyond profits, and build a culture that has allowed our team and our company to flourish.
As we reflect on Joe's history within the security industry, we are inspired and proud to be part of his evolution as a leader, industry evangelist, and trusted voice. The success of ACRE has created tremendous value for all of us, including our partners, who have been able to realize growth, and our customers, who are better equipped to address evolving security risks through the deployment of ACRE technologies.
Joe built a career that went beyond what he had envisioned for himself and the industry. There are so many highlights, but here are a few we feel are worth noting:
- At ACRE, Joe's deep knowledge of the security and access control businesses resulted in strong operating results, 11 successful acquisitions, and the unification of unique brands under one umbrella.
- Joe spent more than 40 years with leading high-tech brands across the globe.
- He established ACRE in 2012 as Principal and CEO, focused on developing the company's position as a leader in the access control industry with an eye on rapid organic and acquisitive growth. And grow we did…
- Under his leadership, ACRE has grown to a company with close to $300 million in revenue and more than 500 employees worldwide.
- Joe was one of the founders and president of HID.
- He led the effort to sell HID, which Assa Abloy acquired in January 2001.
- As ASSA ABLOY’s Global Technologies Division President and CEO from 2003 to 2008, Joe successfully transitioned its HID Global, Besam, and Hospitality business units through acquisitive growth and improved financial success.
- He was instrumental in launching the Global Technologies Division while a participating member of ASSA ABLOY’s Management Board since 2001.
How's that for a career?
But there's more beyond the strategies, deals, and business successes. Joe has been a trusted mentor to so many of us and has always taken the time to share his knowledge and insights to ensure we can be as successful as possible in our daily roles. He's contributed significantly to the modernization of the industry and given his time to causes outside the business's day-to-day operations. He's wildly popular at events like ISC West, where you can't go five minutes without hearing someone call his name (Hey! Joe!) He's also never been one to shy away from the spotlight, which has made him a favorite contact of journalists across the globe.
We're honored to be part of this organization that you built, and we are truly grateful for your dedication that made ACRE what it is today.
Joe, here's to relaxing Wednesday afternoons by the pool with an umbrella in your drink and Mondays that don't start until 10 a.m.
The ACRE team